This page is the central place where all information needed to maintain the forum are stored.
Here is some general, non-sensitive information about our instance. When setting up the forum, we followed Docker’s and Dicourse’s official installation guides. Posts from the old forum were not imported due to time restrictions of the voluntary administrators.
- Installation type: docker-ce
- Storage driver: AUFS
- Sever’s specifications: 2 cores, 4GB RAM, 30GB SSD
- Server’s location: Amsterdam
- Installation directory: /var/discourse
- App configuration: /var/discourse/containers/app.yml
- Backups: /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default
- Version: tests-passed
- SSL: Let’s Encrypt
- Login methods: local, GitHub
- Backup frequency: every day
- Backups amount: 15
Upgrading the forum is quite simple. It is always announced at least 15 minutes beforehand in a dedicated maintenance log topic in the forum. Upgrades are planned to be done every one to two weeks. If you feel like there was an important update to Discourse which should get deployed earlier, feel free to suggest that in the topic mentioned above.
For administrators, this is the common way on how to upgrade the forum:
- Announce the update at least 15 minutes beforehand in the maintenance log topic
- Make a backup of the forum
- Wait until the backup finished and download it (you’ll get a link by mail)
- Go to the upgrade section
- Upgrade (the different parts of) the forum, e.g. sometimes docker_manager has available updates which need to happen before discourse
- Report that all updates were successful in the maintenance log topic
In case something goes wrong with the forum, stay calm, you’re likely not the first to be affected by this. Mostly a quick internet search gives you detailed instructions on how to fix a problem. There is also a really good guide called Advanced Troubleshooting with Docker on Discourse’s forum. In the past, the following instructions were helpful:
Rebuilding the container
cd /var/discourse git pull ./launcher rebuild app
In case we need to set up the virtual machine because of some problem, you can use this instruction to do so quickly.
Download Docker’s PGP key
wget -O docker-gpg https://download.docker.com/linux/debian/gpg apt-key add docker-gpg
Check PGP key
# Must match '9DC8 5822 9FC7 DD38 854A E2D8 8D81 803C 0EBF CD88' apt-key fingerprint 0EBFCD88
Add Docker repository
echo 'deb [arch=amd64] https://download.docker.com/linux/debian stretch stable' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.com.list apt update
apt install docker-ce
docker run hello-world
If you still have the old /var/discourse directory available,
you can simply deploy it on the new server and start it by
./launcher rebuild app.
Follow the official installation guide.