- Where should I ask questions?
- Why isn’t my favourite app included?
- How can I keep track of new apps?
- Is your building and signing process secure?
- Why isn’t F-Droid on Google Play?
- How can I report bugs or request features?
Where should I ask questions?
We welcome all questions and have a few places to reach out to the F-Droid community:
- the IRC chat room: #fdroid IRC chatroom on OFTC (click here to join the webchat)
- the web forum
- issue tracker for the Android app itself (aka client)
- issue tracker for the developer tools (aka server)
- issue tracker for packaging new apps
- issue tracker for issues with published apps
Why isn’t my favourite app included?
Some common reasons:
- It’s not Free Software;
- We’re trying to include it, but there’s a problem with it that we’re trying to resolve. Check the open merge requests;
- It’s on our radar, but we haven’t got to it yet. Search the issues;
- We don’t know about it. See the Inclusion Policy.
Otherwise if you think that an app respects the Inclusion Policy and actually nobody is talking about it in the forum, you can try to be the first to do it: See the Inclusion How-To.
How can I keep track of new apps?
There are several ways of keeping up with new apps that are added:
- The website sidebar shows the three most recent updates, as well as the three most recent additions
- In the client, the “Latest” tab shows all the apps updated during the last two months that have good descriptions and graphics
- If you don’t mind a detailed and potentially noisy stream of information that also includes updates and other changes, you could subscribe to this feed
We don’t yet have a dedicated and user-friendly feed you can subscribe to for new additions, but we welcome contributions to make this work better.
Is your building and signing process secure?
The building and signing is done in an secure offline (i.e. inaccessible from the internet) environment. Every package is built in a completely fresh isolated virtual machine environment which is discarded once the build is complete. Additionally, that build environment is completely separated from the signing environment.
So yes, as far as we know, it’s secure. However, as with everything else on the site, bear in mind this is a small community project which you are warned to use at your own risk. As with apps you get from elsewhere, including Google Play, you should exercise caution regarding the permissions they request when you install them. If in doubt, don’t install.
Why isn’t F-Droid on Google Play?
Pick your favourite reason (both are true and valid):
- We don’t use proprietary software: Google Play is proprietary software;
- F-Droid, as an app that “competes” with Google Play, is against their Terms of Service (paragraph 4.5).
How can I report bugs or request features?
If you do not already have an account, or do not want to create one, you can use our reusable account. The issue tracker works better if reporters use an account that will receive notifications. Issue reports are usually a conversation, not just a single report.
That said, the account username is fdroid-anyone and the password is fdroid does not track.
Please note that we will have to remove this account, in case it gets abused.